The Library has given access to the the Alpha version of the new Dictionary of Welsh Biography website, giving us a first glimpse of the changes we can expect to see when it is launched in the autumn.
Here is some of the background to the project, a summary of what you will find in the Alpha version, and how you can help with the development of the new website in the coming weeks.
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography
The Dictionary of Welsh Biography (DWB) features nearly 5,000 biographies of men and women who have made noteable contrubutions to life in Wales and beyond. The Dictionary first appeared in print volumes, and their content has been available digitally since the launch of the website in 2003.
Through collaboration between the Honorable Society of Cymmrodorion, the Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies and the National Library of Wales, new and revised articles are now added to the resource since it turned digital.
The current website
The current DWB website allows users to:
- search by person name
- search by keyword (the entire text of the articles)
- Browse through the articles by subject’s surname in alphabetical order.
Articles are written in text, with some illustrated with images of the subject.
The value and potential of the DWB as a resource was stated in the Library’s Strategic Plan for 2017-2021, The Nation’s Memory: Informing the Future, and has led the project to update and improve the website. The delivery of the project has been made possible with the financial support of the Colwinston Trust and the National Library, and we aim to launch the new website in the autumn.
What’s different about the Alpha website?
The purpose of the Alpha website is to ensure that the functions are working as they should. A new design hasn’t yet been applied and not all of the articles on the current website have been added to it.However, this version does include some new features that are worthy of note:
- Improved searching functionality which notes if the name searched is mentioned in other articles
- The ability to filter search results by gender, article author, thematic category and language.
- The ability to browse article authors in order to read their contributions.
- More prominence on the home page to new articles.
- Featured articles on the home page
- A ‘key facts’ box for articles
What other features can we expect to see?
Other new features that are not currently available include:
- Video as well as images
- The ability to make a donation to the DWB
- Information on how to cite an article
Another aspect that is essential to the new website is ensuring that it adapts effectively when accessed on mobile devices.
What about the design of the new website?
The design for the new website is currently in development. Links to the initial design (seen below) can be found on the homepage of the Alpha version.The intention is for the design to be more striking visually and based on the familiar red colour.
How can you help?
We would be grateful if you would begin to use the Alpha website, and let us know:
- Is everything is working as it should, or as you would expect?
- What else would you like to be able to do with the DWB website?
You can send your comments, suggestions and questions to email@example.com or contact us using the @WelshBiography Twitter account.
Dr Dafydd Tudur
Head of Digital Access Section
This post is also available in: Welsh